My weekly column on travel guides and stories in Sunstar, Medium, Rappler and more. You can read some of the published articles here.
Other Published Stories
- The World of Cebu PodcastsThe World of Podcasts – And Cebu Podcasts in the Philippines with Dave and Jo
- 5 Things Emily in Paris Got Right About Paris5 Things Netflix Emily in Paris got right about Paris — and what they missed. A great romantic escapist series that transported you to Paris
- Of Books and FriendsLibraries always fascinated me. It transported me back to my childhood, when I didn’t have friends and all I had were books.
- Ah, To Be Young and StupidHow to talk to strangers? For most of your life, you’re told by responsible adults to not to talk to strangers
- How to Talk to StrangersHow to talk to strangers? For most of your life, you’re told by responsible adults to not to talk to strangers
- The Maya Angelou MethodPoet and civil rights activist Maya Angelou, had a peculiar writing process. I decided to try it myself. Postardpretty Travels and Stories
- Are Westerners more Independent than Asians?Are Westerners more Independent than Asians? Maybe there’s an underlying cause for it. Postcard Pretty Travels and Stories
- Blank Canvas and Sprezzatura‘Sprezzatura’ is a beautiful Italian term which means ‘looking effortless’; ‘nonchalance’ to make whatever one does appear without any thought about it.
- The Multilingual FilipinoMultilingual Filipino – In Mindanao we spoke in Visayan, our Muslim brothers Maranao; my father’s side Hiligaynon, my mother’s side Tagalog. English is taught in our schools. And French… well, from dating of them.
- That Time I was Robbed in Europe‘It’s My French Right To Complain’ – Another culture shock: the French love complaining!
- The Curious Case of WallsThe Curious Case of Walls – The story about a bunch of walls in Macau – and why it’s worth a story.
- Filipino Identity CrisisFilipino Identity Crisis – Are Filipinos Asians, Hispanic or Pacific Islanders? What is really our Identity? Postcardpretty.com
- Rappler Feature – Podcasts during COVIDRappler Feature – Detours from home. To save our relationship, we started a podcast
- Filipino’s Obsession with HygieneFilipinos are known to love bathing. We do it as frequently as possible, normally twice a day.
- Writing about the mundane (and coronavirus)Writing about the mundane and my own boredom–but I’m insecure so I will put the c-word in the title to make it more clickbait.
- I Love Grocery Shopping AbroadWhy I Love Grocery Shopping Abroad: Language Classes in the Groceries, Culture Lessons on the Dinner Tables
- Poblacion Story: That night we randomly met Jake Cuenca“Hey,” I caught my friend’s gaze and motioned to the guy beside us, and whispered “Do we know that guy?”
- 27 ClubThe 27 Club: Some of the stars who died at age 27 included Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morison, Kurt Cobain, Amy Winehouse, Rico Yan
- Surfers and MBAThe local boys paddled to my location so we could talk and get to know each other. Shortly after we were already exchanging stories.
- ‘It’s My French Right To Complain’‘It’s My French Right To Complain’ – Another culture shock: the French love complaining!
About the Book
“Postcards from Elsewhere” is a story of a travel writer who has essentially become a story cartographer—mapping her world not with landmarks and places but with the cast of colorful characters, and life lessons, she encountered during her many travels around Asia, Europe, and the United States.
Read more on About the Book.