I couldn’t help it. I was livid to see a message from Viber about an urgent bill HB No. 6616 that just passed today today. The bill is said to grant President Rodrigo Duterte with special powers to address the outbreak.
Maybe I’m a masochist. I needed to know more. Thus, I self-inflicted deep wounds and ended my long Twitter hibernation.
Tell me Twitterverse WTF is going on?!?
(Related: Why Autocrats love Novel Coronavirus)
HB No. 6616 gives our president the power to take over or direct the operation of private-owned entities, businesses and utilities, and to ‘reprogram, reallocate & align funds’.
Of course, netizens weren’t too happy about President Duterte’s bid for more power, with more thousands of tweets pouring in with the hashtag #DuterteResign and #NotoEmergencyPowers
To add salt to the wound, the House of Representatives and lawmakers went on to proved their audacity further. They all went on to hold up a manila paper with the words:
‘TOGETHER WITH DOCTORS AND FRONTLINERS, WE WENT TO WORK FOR YOU, SO PLEASE STAY AT HOME FOR US’
Slow clap at the audacity to proudly lump themselves with the doctors and frontliners against COVID-19.
If, they meant, frontliner because government officials are said to have been given VIP treatment to the COVID-19 testing–then sure, that makes more sense. (Although they denied it, Rappler).
Whew! I never thought I would be able to write a political post, but cabin fever day 8 is real.
I guess the silver lining here is that we are now in the age of democratized, real-time information; which and thus easier to spot early signs of a rising autocratic inclinations.
More COVID Diary Posts
- COVID Diary Day 1: Shit Just Got Real
- COVID Diary Day 2: How to Be Productive rn
- COVID Diary Day 3: Death of Lean?
- COVID Diary Day 4: The Stock Market Closes (…and Reopens)
- COVID Diary Day 5: Prophets and Wizards
- COVID Diary Day 6: Boomers Adapt
- COVID Diary Day 7: The Rules of Love Have Changed
- COVID Diary Day 8: WTF’s Emergency Powers
- COVID Diary Day 9: When this is over…
- COVID Diary Day 10: Attention, Attention