‘It’s My French Right To Complain’

11 thoughts on “‘It’s My French Right To Complain’

1. Alvin Arenajo says:

Hi Rachel,
    In my family, ‘or else’ means a quick pinch in the ear. 🙂
    I totally agree, we Asians are more passive and obedient. In my workplace now, where I am the only Filipino, I just keep a low profile. I stay away from loud and obnoxious Westerners.
    – Dr. Alvin

Liked by 1 person

2. Amazing Life Daily says:

I think the world is getting smaller, and culture and traditions are changing. It is becoming apparent to me, and I am specifically referring to the Philippines and USA here, that Filipinos are being influenced to be more western.

On complaining, there is a difference between complaining without drama, and then there’s the type that is bitter.

Liked by 1 person

3. Bettina Bacani says:

Haha this is SO TRUE! We grew up being told that complaining is not right, but apparently it’s a sport to the French! I think it’s not such a bad thing to complain, it’s just that our parents find it easier to deal with us if we’re not complaining. The world becomes simpler and more peaceful in that sense.

Liked by 1 person

4. Alison says:

I don’t think I even heard the word “or else.” I just got a look that said stop now or you will be in big trouble! I have never experienced French people complaining but I do know that in the US we definitely bring it to other’s attention when things are not the way they should be. I think it is important for people to have a voice but I also think it should be done respectfully.

Liked by 1 person

5. kareen liez datoy (@blessedliez) says:

Culture really varies and differs from one place to another. Sometimes, we end up surprised on how they act because what is not proper for us is just okay for them, like your French friends who feel happy about complaining. But it is good to always respect other’s culture and beliefs. And we are taught that as Filipinos.

Liked by 1 person

6. ASKSonnie says:

I cannot conclude whether our upbringing is better or worse, but I would say, it’s easier for a Filipino to be more assertive when needed. With the internet and cable tv, we get exposed to other culture, thus, openness and balance is encouraged

Liked by 1 person

7. Dominic says:

It’s a tough world we live in now. We live in a world where everyone claims it’s their right because they want it or feel it. The distinction between a right and a privilege has diminished and people no longer know the difference.

Every time I hear the rights issues, I always remind myself: “Your right ends where mine begin”

Liked by 1 person

8. ninasogue says:

Oh, it’s so true for Asian families. For us, complaining means a spank later. 😦 it was traumatic for me, and taught me not to speak up. So as a mom, I really vowed to not let my son through this. I want him to learn how to speak up for himself, but balanced with respect for others 🙂

Liked by 1 person

9. Aika Loraine says:

WHAT THE. COMPLAINING IS FUN? hahaha. it’s my first time to know about this culture or habit of French people. compared to us, filipinos, we tend to try dealing with issues first before complaining. you know. kapag maliit ang kumot, matutong bumaluktot.

Liked by 1 person